Who does this course appeal to?
This course is for people who want to teach sourdough bread making for health. Previous students have been bakers & healthcare professionals with an interest in teaching. It particularly suits people who want a career change or want to add an extra income stream to an existing business.
The course is suitable for anyone with an interest in baking the most nourishing bread possible, and teaching others. It will suit people who are already bakers, or people who want a career change. It is also a superb way to add a complimentary income stream to an existing business or practice.
We find this course particularly appeals to:
- GP’s including healthcare professionals who want to include lifestyle classes to their practices.
- People who work in the mental health sector such as psychiatrists, psychologists, occupational health practitioners, mental health nurses and social workers.
- Bakers who want to teach more than just bread making.
- Cookery teachers, chefs, food industry professionals and community support workers.
What is the most important thing I need to understand about this course?
The most important thing. YOU. One of the most amazing things I have discovered over many years of training teachers is that you bring with you a unique set of skills that are a part of the magical ingredient. It is the combination of your life experience and qualifications that will make you an amazing teacher; you will be able to apply your life skills to your teaching.
The course is taught by both Vanessa Kimbell and a multi disciplinary in house team including our in House GP and Medical Director; Dr Alex Davison, our Director of Research; Dr. Miguel Mateas and Nutritionalist Venetia Mitchell, as well as guest lecturers from all over the world delivering lectures on their specialist topics.
This is Lifestyle Medicine – with the evidence that it works.
The syllabus covers topics such as Bread and the Impact on the Gut Microbiome, Bread and Balancing Blood Sugar, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) Bread and Mental Health, Wheat Allergies, Bread and Obesity.
You will also learn extensively about the gut microbiome and how to bake to nourish both physical and mental health. So when you are teaching your course, you will be able to combine techniques that apply both evidence of positive impact of our bread protocol to physical health, as well as focusing on the person in front of you. In this sense, the courses you will learn to teach are lifestyle medicine.
- You will teach about eating to support the gut microbiome, and the course includes nutritional tutorials.
- Whilst you will be teaching the impact of bread on the body, you will additionally teach that making bread is also about stress reduction and mental wellbeing.
- Our style is about making bread part of everyday life, so we include lessons in shopping habits in the sourdough bread making schedule that encourages physical activity and exercise as part of the way we teach.
- Our ‘bake two, give one’ philosophy is taught through all our courses to encourage healthy relationships with family, friends and communities. It is a beautiful way to teach people to connect with themselves, to the people they love, and to build confidence and self esteem.
How is the course taught?
This is our most advanced course, and is made up of a combination of 2 online syllabuses and 2 ‘in person’ workshops.
- The Advanced Nutrition & Digestibility of Bread Diploma (this includes a 5-day Baking Workshop)
- The 1 year Bake for Health Syllabus)
- + a 5-day Teacher Training Workshop.
(Please note that the two workshops have been scheduled together back-to-back to make travelling easier with one visit for 2 weeks to The Sourdough School.)
You will learn about the inner workings of The Sourdough School, the secrets and support needed to teach a sourdough for heath baking course, and discover what it takes to deliver a five-star experience.
- There is also a 1 year support pack available when you graduate
- You may also apply for a Sourdough School Licence and open your own Sourdough School. Please note there are terms and conditions, and we highly recommend that you read them before applying.
- We highly recommend that you request our Prospectus here: REQUEST FULL COURSE PROSPECTUS before enrolling. The Prospectus provides full syllabus details.
There are very limited places on this course. We keep numbers low so that we can give you the support you need to succeed.